S.Lucia di Serino is a municipality of Campania, in the province of Avellino, with more of fourteen hundred inhabitants, at 400 meters above sea level, in the Sabato valley, on the right bank of the river with the same name, near the confluence of the Rio Finestrelle, north western slopes of Mount Terminio.
Located in the northern foothills of Mount Faggeto, Santa Lucia di Serino is rich in lush forests and clear springs, like those of Acquara, and nature paths along the old cattle tracks; it’s included within the territory of the mountain community "Serinese-Solofrana" and in the Regional Natural Park of Monti Picentini.
The geometric profile of the municipality has sensitive variations in altitude: a fertile flat area, abundantly watered and covered with arable land, opposing the buttresses of monti Picentini, covered, at lower elevations, by ordered expanses of vineyards and olive groves and , higher, by thick copses and lush beech forests.
Traditional activities, such as olive growing and cultivation of cereals and fruit trees, retain a decisive role in the Luciana economy but it is not the only source of income for local companies as it cannot rely on solely agricultural activities.
The coat of arms consists of a two-tailed mermaid emerging from the water. In her right hand she carries a glass and in her left a palm branch; the head is surrounded by a crown. The image is limited by the wording: "Univ. Sanctae Luciae Sereni former antiq. Luggesa 1736 DDIS ". The effigy is surmounted by a crown and bordered by branches of laurel and oak on the sides, which are joined at the bottom and joined by a red bow.
The town, of very ancient origin, was founded by a sannitico-Irpinia population and later was inhabited by the Romans and during the Middle Ages was part of the manor of Serino; for a long time it followed the historical events of this town, until 1560 when it conquered autonomy. The Casale acquired the name of "San Pietro" and later "Santa Lucia" with the coming of the Normans, from Sicily, who introduced the worship of the Holy martyr of Syracuse.
In 1862 the name was changed to “Santa Lucia di Larino” and in 1864 further processed in “Serino” with reference to the nearby town of Serino. The terrible earthquake, which in November 1980 shocked Irpinia, caused serious damage to its many historical and architectural buildings; nevertheless, interesting buildings still adorn the lovely old town.
- Next >>